Monday 19 November 2007

Clegg and Huhne at the Christmas Fare

We had our Christmas Fair this weekend, and it went very well. It's nice when people come away from an event planning the extra things they are going to do next year!

Nick and Chris dropped in. I've already declared for Nick, but I'll admit that Chris won the first points by arriving early and staying the longest. Nick was on a very tight schedule, and it does annoy helpers when MP's are looking at their watches as soon as they arrive.

But I haven't changed my view. Chris has this sort of self aware thing most MP's have, I'm important and I know it, and here I am talking to a member of the public looking really concerned and interested. Is there a photographer? Nick seems more like a normal bloke and seems to be aware of people, other than himself. As we had a tight schedule I was trying to just introduce him to active party members. As we moved away from the Raffle Stall, Nick realised he hadn't been introduced to one helper. 'Hi I'm Nick Clegg, who are you?' 'I'm Rob's wife' 'oh, why didn't he introduce us?' 'Because I'm just part of the furniture'. I suffered for that later, but Nick won another vote. And several more when he bought some Marmalade from the produce stall.

The events of yesterday only confirm my view. Nick's a decent guy who connects with people easily. He's what we need

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't help thinking Rob that your comments neglect yuor sycophancy towards both leader contenders.

Still, it was a pretty successful day, which should be appluaded.

Richard

PS I'm afraid I don't normally follow your blog that well, I just wanted to see if you had put your collection of 'Rob with leadership candidate' photos online.

Anonymous said...

Rob said "Chris won the first points by arriving early and staying the longest. Nick was on a very tight schedule, and it does annoy helpers when MP's are looking at their watches as soon as they arrive."

That's something I've noticed about Chris, he DOES engage with people, and he is interested in what they have to say. His aides almost have to drag him away when he visits places and talks to people.

This is what I call a 'great communicator' not someone who turns up for a flying visit and buys a jar of marmalade.

You and I are both committed voters Rob, but your account of the visits to Truro showed yet again why Chris is the best choice for leader.

Rob Nolan said...

Richard, whoever wins,I will be happy to have them on my Focus leaflet. We are in the same party!

Dave, I tried to report it fairly. Not like the LibDems for Chris style of twisting everything to suit their point of view. Nick's appearance may have been shorter, but he wasn't just going through the motions.